Amazon widget

Wednesday 28 December 2016


Rifles by Mark Urban

So I thought it was time I prove that I do actually read books for myself as well as with my son!  When I was younger I used to love watching Sharpe on TV and read several of Bernard Cornwell's books.

Through these I began to appreciate just how well Lord Wellington's army did against Bonaparte.  I have not read one of Mark Urban's books before but the historian certainly delivers a compelling read.

The book focuses on the story of the Light Brigade and more specifically the 85th Rifles (Sharpe's regiment in the TV shows and the reason I initially read the book).

Put together from a series of primary sources the book pulls no punches in detailing the bravery and daring of the regiment whilst at the same time covering some of its less glorious moments.

Mark Urban himself points out that his intention is not to rubbish the 85th but rather to acknowledge all aspects of the regiment whose tactics and approach ultimately revolutionised the British army and laid the blueprint for the modern soldier.  Indeed, the 85th was transformed over time to what we now know as the Rifle Brigade.

The pages turn easily and you find yourself relating to the main participants in the tail as you follow their fates, be they for better or worse.

For me, Mark Urban strikes a great balance in telling the history of the regiment in a way that makes it seem like a coherent story which gives you a real insight into the lives of both the offices and common soldiery alike.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who liked Sharpe, is interested in military history, or simply wants a different read.

A link to the book is below if you want to try it for yourself.  If you do then please let me know your thoughts.

Rifles by Mark Urban - http://amzn.to/2htRitP

No comments:

Post a Comment